11of 11
  • 4 messages
  • May 21, 2018 20:16
May 21, 2018 20:16

Hello,

I'm fairly new to comic book collecting. I was wondering something, I want to store my storm comics (don lawrence) properly and put them in covers. Are backboards absolutely necessary and do they have to be exactly the same size as the comic book itself or can they also be smaller?

Thank you in advance.

J .

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • May 22, 2018 10:41
added
prices
info pages

Backing boards are only used with (American) comics, which are too thin to stand upright on their own. Not necessary for normal European soft covers.

P.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • May 22, 2018 18:25
added
prices
info pages
reviews

J ??

In case you want to keep your comic books that you have just bought and read carefully, there are of course basic tips:

A sturdy bookcase whose shelves do not bend;

The strips will be next to each other, so that they will not curve, I put them horizontally, some collectors put them on top of each other, but I think that is just not good.

no humid space, and no sunlight because then the spines will discolour.

You can store delicate older comic books in acid-free sturdy plastic sleeves, which are from cheap to "much" too expensive. Cheap plastic covers sometimes gently stick to the front and back covers.

Keep your book rooms dust-free and check for dry / silverfish, which love paper, especially wood.

Furthermore, there will undoubtedly be more tips on the internet

best regards H (arry)

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • May 22, 2018 18:37
May 22, 2018 18:37

Thank you @Boekenmagazijn and @ Harry56 for the tips.

I have one more question then. How do I know if the covers are acid-free? I have now ordered them from a comic book webshop (comic monkey), but it was nowhere stated whether they are acid-free. (Because they are a "specialty store" I assume that they are sour.)

Greetings

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • May 22, 2018 18:56
added
prices
reviews

Y, it would be very nice if you would make yourself known ... a name works wonders in a conversation

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • May 22, 2018 19:59
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Dear J (oop / aap / ustin / eroen)

Acid-free you have to ask the strip monkey; they must be made of plasticizer-free and acid-free rigid PVC film. Incidentally, neat plastic covers made of a sturdier material than the Hema / Action soft folders also suffice for recent comics. Recent comics are generally already plastic coated.

Kind regards

Harry J (ansen)

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • May 22, 2018 20:46
May 22, 2018 20:46

Dear morits, some people may want to remain anonymous. But because you ask so nicely: the name is Jesse :)

And Harry thanks again for the tips!

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,412 messages
  • May 24, 2018 14:01
added
prices
info pages
reviews
Hi Jesse, First of all I would like to welcome you to this beautiful group of CataWiki members, which is very diverse (collectors, dealers and enthusiasts and combinations thereof). I hope you will enjoy this beautiful website and as you have already noticed, you can ask questions in the forum, which is useful in any case, to enter your gender and the country where you live in your profile. Then we know at least whether we are talking to a man or a woman and in which language we can write. Jesse can be a female or male name. Members of CataWiki are not very keen on giving information to someone who is just a member who has so little information on their profile. In the past it has unfortunately happened far too often that people only joined to know the value of an item and then don't contribute anything to the CataWiki Catalog. A tip from me is that you can at least go through the topics carefully. The search function also works there and then you will find even more answers, because the question has been asked before. Hopefully my answer will help you. Good luck collecting.
Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • June 04, 2018 22:22
June 04, 2018 22:22

DisneyMeentwijc , thank you too for the tips. Because I am so new to collecting and therefore also the whole concept of Catawiki, I thought that Catawiki was just a kind of marketplace, but for auctions. I have no idea about the close-knit communities on this site etc. I will remember to do my bit from now on;)

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • March 13, 2020 17:32
March 13, 2020 17:32

Dear Comic Book Mates,

Recently, out of childhood sentiment, I started collecting the old oblong books by Kapitein Rob and Eric de Noorman. Now I am looking for a good way to keep these books.

Can someone give me a tip, eg what kind of covers and where to buy them. I hope someone can help me.

With collector's greetings,

Rob

Show original message
  • 82 messages
  • March 13, 2020 18:31
prices

You can store Kapitein Rob and Eric de Noorman oblong books in shoe boxes!

They come in all shapes and sizes.

Can also be collected for free at shoe stores.

Just ask nicely ...

Show original message
11of 11