Go to page
25of 26
  • 2 messages
  • April 22, 2014 20:01
April 22, 2014 20:01

I am a new seller, not just on Catawiki, but anyway. I have little knowledge of VAT and the like. I actually have no idea how the tax authorities deal with sites like Catawiki. Is it not possible to put a VAT and tax chapter anywhere on this site. And preferably one for dummies, like me. Or a forum where people can ask questions.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,909 messages
  • April 22, 2014 20:56
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You have already found the forum to ask questions. Now we just have to wait for someone who knows the answers.

Good luck.

Show original message
  • 251 messages
  • April 23, 2014 00:30
added
prices

Do you sell as a private individual or as a company?

1: As a private individual you have nothing to do with VAT, so you don't have to find out anything.

2: do you sell as a company? Then you know and know the rules optimally. (I hope) otherwise you will get the worst of control. But every company knows and knows the VAT rules, so if you sell commercially you are aware.
After all: without knowledge of VAT it is impossible to have a company.

Show original message
  • 88 messages
  • April 23, 2014 09:04
added
prices

Explanation from the tax authorities:

Entrepreneur for income tax:

Do you sell online goods or services? And can you expect profit from this? Then there is income and you may be an entrepreneur for income tax purposes.

First of all, depends on your situation, do you have a benefit or something, then you have completely different rules. .

If you occasionally sell a booklet, you do not have to expect any problems, but as soon as you start making a profit, you have a chance of questions from the tax authorities.

In the Netherlands, the tax authorities use a web spider called Xenon since 2005 that scans the web and downloads pages. The spider is mainly intended to catch non-registered entrepreneurs in tax fraud.

In Belgium, the tax authorities are also digging into the internet about what has been sold in comics etc via ebay in recent years and those sellers must be accountable for this.

The Belgian Internet Service Center, a project of the Special Tax Inspectorate, has according to De Morgen 'software with a powerful search function' that scans the internet for the telephone numbers of certain internet traders. For example, sellers working under different nicknames can be found on different websites. Images of items on the various sales sites are also found with 'image recognition' software. In this way, the tax authorities look for sales data and compare this with the tax return to see if fraud is involved, but the criterion is also the regularity of transactions.

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • June 02, 2014 17:52
June 02, 2014 17:52

I just called the IRS about this issue.

There is no legal maximum in the Netherlands.

Items from your own collection may be freely offered.

If items are purchased to be auctioned for profit, this must be reported to the tax authorities, as this is classed as "commercial".

Then you have to take into account that you have to keep a lot of administration!

No VAT has to be paid on 2nd hand items.

Of course I don't know how the Belgian tax authorities stand on this, maybe one of our southern neighbors can approach the Belgian tax authorities for this!

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • June 02, 2014 19:05
added
prices

Vout as a business you have to pay 6% VAT on second hand goods

of the profit

Show original message
  • 2 messages
  • June 02, 2014 19:09
June 02, 2014 19:09

I spoke as a private seller, commercial sellers already know the rules.

Show original message
  • 29 messages
  • June 02, 2014 23:12
June 02, 2014 23:12

Be careful, you are much more likely to be an entrepreneur for VAT than for income tax.

Although there is the KOR (Small Entrepreneurs Scheme), if you close down your collection considerably and fanatically, you can I still think that everyone should quietly call the Tax Information Line themselves if you are going to offer them regularly.

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • June 06, 2014 16:43
June 06, 2014 16:43

From how many placements are you a professional seller? See a lot of the same names coming back every week.

You can no longer speak of a private seller .. Then in my eyes (and taxes) you are working commercially.

This is unfair competition for the people who ARE in order with the legal hassle.

There should be a provision that as a private seller you can only place 12 items per year, if you place more than you have one Chamber of Commerce required and VAT number. Can be easily checked because you have to send your ID card by email if you want to become a seller on Catawiki and the IP address is also known.

Show original message
  • 4,319 messages
  • June 06, 2014 17:13
added
prices
info pages

Catawiki, the world's largest catalog & amp; auction house for traders.

: - |

Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • June 06, 2014 17:47
added
prices
info pages

In Belgium you have different rules, if you really make a profit, you have to indicate them. This is not a problem for someone who sells things from their own collection and usually not for the others.

You should visit the weekly flea markets in Belgium, then you are guaranteed to always come across the same sellers. They have been doing it for years and most of them do it as a private initiative

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • September 22, 2017 15:47
September 22, 2017 15:47
The questions and answers above are like your car broke down and you choose to do it yourself. Instead of paying the bill of a good garage, anyone who regularly buys and resells something actually knows what it's like but doesn't really want to hear it ...
Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • September 22, 2017 15:53
September 22, 2017 15:53
Entrepreneurship is difficult, let alone the sales tax and margin - goods and international business. Has it been shipped or picked up properly. When was something sold? If you receive money from Catawiki, end of auction or if it has been sent - picked up, just a few questions that can make so much difference ... Are you a hobbyist or exporter of margin goods ???
Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • September 23, 2017 13:47
added
prices
info pages

I am an accountant myself;)

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • September 23, 2017 19:48
September 23, 2017 19:48
Class, I also plus 20 years of tax advisor. Then you will be well at home ...
Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • September 24, 2017 08:50
added
prices
info pages

Less than you think, because I specialize in flat rate agriculture

Show original message
  • 4 messages
  • September 24, 2017 09:07
September 24, 2017 09:07
Ohhh, but that's also a nice specialization, right ... Just as difficult as exporting second-hand goods.
Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • September 24, 2017 15:42
added
prices
info pages

in flat-rate agriculture, VAT must always be paid on import and export, so it was easy

Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • June 08, 2019 13:57
June 08, 2019 13:57

Question for the accountants, as a trader (Belgium) do I have to invoice to Catawiki if I sell something or to the customer himself? If I would invoice to Catawiki, I can transfer my VAT since this VAT taxable person is located abroad, even if the buyer lives in Belgium. Which would be an interesting statement.

If I invoice to the customer myself and I have a Belgian as a buyer, I have to pay VAT anyway. Which is a lot less interesting.

Thank you

Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • June 08, 2019 14:37
added
prices
info pages

Dear,

Billing does not matter

Also in Belgium there are second-hand items, free of VAT.

Only VAT has to be paid on the profit. (Margin scheme)

Many traders don't really know this yet.

Example:

you buy a strip for 100 € and you sell it for 120 € then you have to pay VAT on the margin = 20 €. So 20 € x6 / 106 = 1.13 €. (also to Catawiki)

What makes this so difficult is that you might be buying a comic pack for $ 500 at auction and so you don't have a real purchase price of the comic. That is why people usually work per quarter: You bought second hand for 1000 € in the first three months and you sold 800 €: Margin is negative, so no VAT

two quarters you sell 1200 € and buy only 800 € margin is 400 € - negative of 1 st quarter so VAT on that 200 € left = 11.30 €

Anyway, at the end of the year you have to adjust the margin to reality with starting and closing stock

Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • June 08, 2019 15:35
June 08, 2019 15:35

I understand this completely, I also work with the margin scheme. but you can withdraw your good from the margin scheme, so that you calculate it according to the normal scheme and do not have to pay VAT on your profit margin "VAT reverse charge". If you invoice from trader to another person subject to VAT outside Belgium but within Europe.

In so far as to whom do you in principle have to invoice Catawiki or the buyer himself.

If you were to invoice to Catawiki from Belgium, you would in principle not have to pay VAT on the margin. Since you withdraw the product from the margin scheme.

* You will receive the money from Catawiki ...

* The good actually goes to the customer and not to Catawiki ...

Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • June 08, 2019 15:44
added
prices
info pages

the law clearly says:

The Belgium-based brocanteur had it well, when he bought it, placed under the Belgian margin scheme.
He has taken this price into account for the application of the special scheme.
Since the sale is made under the special scheme, in the case of the intra-Community supply of the good, the price obtained is included in all other sales under the profit margin scheme to determine the gross margin. In other words, it is indeed Belgian VAT that continues to apply.
The intra-Community supply is therefore not exempted by Article 39bis of our VAT Code and the transaction does not have to be mentioned on the intra-Community listing.

You can find the BIBF brochure about the margin scheme at

www.bibf.be/Uploads/Documents/doc_1217.pdf

Show original message
  • 1,545 messages
  • June 08, 2019 15:48
added
prices
info pages

An additional problem is: then you have to deliver to Catawiki in order to be able to work with intra-Community. Goods must leave Belgium !!!!

Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • June 08, 2019 16:15
June 08, 2019 16:15

Since the sale is made under the special scheme, in the intra-Community supply of the good, the price obtained is included in all other sales under the profit margin scheme to determine the gross margin. In other words, it is indeed Belgian VAT that continues to apply.
The intra-Community supply is therefore not exempted by Article 39bis of our VAT Code and the transaction does not have to be mentioned on the intra-Community listing.

to continue on this

you can withdraw the good from the margin scheme and sell it via the normal VAT scheme so that you do receive an exemption from the VAT on profit (if a person subject to VAT is abroad, you can apply article 39bis) the other way around. position not possible.

Normal arrangement together with margin arrangement?
The reseller can always choose to apply the normal scheme. He must then correct the previous entry in the purchase register. Exactly how this should be done is discussed HERE (part VI - Formalities and obligations) .
In addition, it is also important that a distinction must be made both in the accounting and for the origin of the goods. Both systems must therefore be able to be separated from each other and be retrievable separately. This is necessary for the VAT administration to be able to check these goods.

Show original message
Morits
POWER
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 4,226 messages
  • June 08, 2019 17:31
added
prices
reviews

You never invoice Catawiki, always the buyer