9of 9
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 23, 2017 14:51
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Some time ago, Pegag was asked to write a general manual for the use of the Catawiki catalog. For all kinds of reasons, it never appeared online. A version 2 has now been created and is located here .

This handbook is valid for all sections, on the understanding that handbooks that already exist for some sections usually discuss section-specific aspects in more detail. These more detailed agreements always take precedence over the general agreements.

Responses from users and administrators can be processed in a future version. Thanks to Pegag for this helpful document!

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 23, 2017 16:46
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Handbook read, very clear description.

Some questions I have about books are not that exciting:

a) I use the original title field especially when it comes to translations and when the 1st edition of a book is a other title as later editions. Or does that field always have to be filled in? The original title field is missing for comics, so this is not applicable.

b) With subtitle I enter a relevant subtitle which is on the title page and not on the cover, anyway, the KB also does this because the title page indicates the full title.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 23, 2017 17:22
added
prices
info pages
reviews

b. is not allowed and will be removed upon discovery. Title and subtitle MUST be on the front of the book. This is even explicitly stated to the right of the input field.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 23, 2017 17:27
added
prices
info pages
reviews

It was just a question and I am not a criminal

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 23, 2017 17:50
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Me neither, and it was just an answer ... (;-)

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 2,122 messages
  • October 23, 2017 18:39
added
prices
info pages
reviews

b. is not allowed and will be deleted when discovered. Title and any Subtitle MUST appear on the front cover of the book. This is even explicitly stated to the right of the input field.

Never noticed me.

Now I see in the explanation of the "Title" field:

Any subtitle(s) will be included with the title after the main title and preceded by an underscore and spaces.

Wouldn't that be (anymore) correct?!

a) I mainly use the original title field when it comes to translations and when the 1st edition of a book has a different title than later editions. Or does that field always have to be filled in?

It is very useful if there are (many) reprints of a certain book. Or if it has been translated a lot. If it is filled in everywhere (not only for the translations, but also for the original language) you will quickly and easily get an overview of editions, which cannot be done in any other way.

I can't think of any reason not to fill it in, unless the book contains different titles, eg with onmibuses and (story) collections.
(This field does not actually belong to the book title, but to the story title, but that has already been noted.)

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • October 23, 2017 18:58
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Comic Pins, thanks for the explanation, from now on I will also fill in the original title if it is the same as the title.

And Arco, you are not a criminal and it was silly humor of mine. I responded to a somewhat tight direction.

For my part, it was simply an indication that the KB assumes the title on a title page in their definition of title and that it sometimes occurs on the cover, the spine or the dust jacket is slightly different. Then KB puts the different title in an explanation field which is stated on the cover status (that is often an abbreviated title) I have no problem with Catawiki having different regulations, however, if you want to assume a full official title and may only assume what it says on the cover, in some cases it may not be a completely correct title in a catalog.

Have a nice evening everyone

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 23, 2017 19:23
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@stripspeldjes

Well spotted! Immediately deleted.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • October 24, 2017 00:03
added
prices
info pages
reviews

@harry

The tighter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

When I saw your point b, I saw not only point b, but also the time you put in Title Page Subtitles, the time it takes administrators to remove them and the frustration of you when you do that. discovered. That's what worries me about ...

We are not, and do not want to become, the KB. Recognizability is our top priority. Titles come first in 99.99 percent of the cases. Almost every book has an ISBN, but we only list it if it is in or on it. Number of pages is with us the entire book block, so not the number of the last numbered page ...

Show original message
9of 9