4of 4
  • 1,907 messages
  • November 11, 2019 10:25
added
prices
info pages
reviews

I wonder if any older young people are watching the Forum and have an opinion.

Recently had a nice message exchange (via marketplace) about 1st printings of comics versus early reprints. In this case specifically about Tintin hardcovers.

In my period of collecting ttv fairs I was already very happy with early reprints in beautiful condition, if I saw a 1st edition of the same price but less beautiful, my choice was always the nicest, unless the budget still allowed that 1st edition and I like this one too found. I understand that there are collectors who choose only the one and only 1st edition. What I don't understand is the view that a 2nd or further edition, equally beautiful and also an old nostalgia, is nothing in the view, not interesting and apparently it is only about value in money. Investing is also a hobby and the honesty area if I had known I would have bought some gnawed Rikkie and Wiske 1st edition for next to nothing, kept them in a cupboard for 40 years ... But yes investing has never been a hobby of mine.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 5,233 messages
  • November 11, 2019 12:08
added
prices
info pages
reviews

You simply have:

• Collectors, who only collect
  • Collectors who also enjoy investing
  • Investors who have a hobby of collecting
  • Investors who only invest

All four of them are equally dear to me and everyone has to decide for themselves which group they (want to) belong to.

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 1,909 messages
  • November 11, 2019 20:27
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Usually the first editions have a little extra. Another mistake that later disappeared, dialect that disappeared afterwards, hardcover and in reprint only soft, political wink that is deleted, ...

But today this reprint sold at auction .

It only saves a year in publication with the first edition, but because the albums are so difficult to find, some bidders still bid quickly for this second edition.

Investing is not my thing either, but if I have to bid against investors, I notice that I am a lot short of the very beautiful and rare copies.

Then I just look for my happiness in that one little thing that has been on my list for years and is found in a bin for one euro. Although I notice that my list is starting to shorten and the expensive things remain and will soon be overshot.

Show original message
  • 1,907 messages
  • November 12, 2019 09:39
added
prices
info pages
reviews

What a beautiful, charming comic book, did not know it existed. Sirius's early work. What I sometimes read was a somewhat maligned draftsman, but to me Timoer's comics are beautiful youth sentiment. Educational and exciting at the time.

Show original message
4of 4