8of 8
  • 1 message
  • February 16, 2009 21:13
added
prices
reviews
February 16, 2009 21:13

After exactly 150 years, the world of the Märklin seems to be disappearing.
The company from Göppingen in South Germany is bankrupt. The banks no longer want to grant credit to the loss-making company. Theodor Märklin's sons made the first model train in 1891. Supporters of Fleischmann now seem to have won. Although Märklin can console herself with the thought that the major competitor has already gone bankrupt and has made a new start.
It seems that Märklin will also make a restart. Porsche intends to revive Märklin. One of the reasons is that Porsche CEO Wendelin Wiedeking is himself a Märklin fanatic… he seems to own a very valuable collection of model trains.
Whether Porsche will really save Märklin will soon become clear.

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
Rene
  • LastDodo Team
  • 6,172 messages
  • February 17, 2009 12:54
added
prices
reviews

Hey, that's special news. Here with us in the major cities in the Northern Netherlands are a few large Marklin stores. I wonder if they will disappear or if they will be saved. By the way, I was wondering whether that could be done, such large stores at A-locations for 1 brand. Never saw many people inside.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • April 16, 2009 23:10
prices
April 16, 2009 23:10

Märklin is not bankrupt, but is in receivership - this means, among other things, that production is slowing down and that a receiver is looking at whether the company can continue in a slimmed-down form. The story that the owner of Porsche is interested turns out to be a sandwich Monkey story that was already circulating when the English company Kingsbridge presented itself as an investor. The latest message is that the trustee is investigating whether the company can be transformed into a kind of limited company that issues shares. Because Märklin has many fans who would buy such a share out of sympathy (something like Ajax or Spijker…), that plan would have a good chance of success. a large part of the announced new articles have been canceled or postponed. There are also rumors that the LGB bought by Márklin is being divested again.

Show original message
  • 5 messages
  • May 08, 2009 20:21
prices
May 08, 2009 20:21

The shops in the Northern Netherlands are not owned by Märklin itself, but are run by an independent entrepreneur at their own risk. You can open a so-called Märklin shop-in-shop (department of the business completely furnished by Märklin) or a Marklin store, then you can only sell Märklin trains. You can pay for the display cases yourself. Märklin calls the entrepreneurs who step into this new concept the 'real entrepreneurs', in contrast to the shopkeepers who have a somewhat dustier or messier business or who don't mind clearing most of the business for Márklin. The question is of course whether the 'real entrepreneurs' are still so happy with the exclusive Märklin sale. To be honest, I wouldn't sleep a wink if I were in an expensive A-Location. I was in a shop opposite this shop in Assen last week and only saw a salesperson hanging sadly over the counter for an hour, while a large number of shelves were completely empty (?) ... or was that for a new product line?

Show original message
  • 614 messages
  • September 02, 2009 10:49
added
prices
reviews

The problems at Märklin have not yet been solved. the company is therefore still in receivership. It should cost around 100 million euros and yellow investors have been found who want to put this on the table. In the meantime, sector-oriented Faller is in a state of suspension, although the problems there seem less profound. It doesn't make it any easier.

Show original message
  • 1 message
  • December 14, 2014 11:18
December 14, 2014 11:18

Can this discussion please be welcomed, it is as old as anything, Marklin is not gone, is more lively than ever, new German owner is the largest bacon ware manufacturer in Germany, the factory in Gyor Hungary has just been rebuilt and reopened, also the production from China came here (I live close by) the Chinese were so bad. Now December 14, 2014.

Show original message
  • Catalogue manager
  • 8,580 messages
  • December 14, 2014 11:24
added
prices
info pages
reviews

In principle, we do not remove anything. Thanks for the update.

Show original message
  • 3 messages
  • April 05, 2016 19:34
April 05, 2016 19:34

I still have a Marklin Crocodile Track 1 on MP.

Now I understand why bidding is so poor

Or will it soon become a real collector's item ?

Show original message
8of 8