10of 10
  • 8 messages
  • April 28, 2014 21:39
April 28, 2014 21:39

Under the motto, there are no such thing as stupid questions...

I am new to collecting and so far only sporadically collect cheaper notes that I just like.

The second-hand sites, Ebay, Kapaza and especially Catawiki are very nice, but I have already noticed that I actually spend more on shipping costs than on my actual collection.

Now I thought I would go to a fair soon, especially looking around and gaining knowledge, but probably also buying something.

After some googling I do come across some coin exchanges, but I can't find anything about banknotes.

Now comes my stupid questions:

1 Are banknotes also offered at coin exchanges?

2 Do you tend to find the very expensive and rare pieces at such a fair or just the cheap things?

3 Can anyone recommend a fair in the near future in Belgium, preferably in the province of Antwerp or Flemish Brabant?

4 Are there scholarships where you only have to pay a modest fee?

5 Are there any interesting things I should know about going to a fair?

Greetings

Kris

Message has been translated from Dutch
Show original message
  • 29 messages
  • April 29, 2014 16:31
added
prices

Indeed "Stupid Questions"

Just go to a trade show and don't look on Google.

Get out of your chair and go to a trade show.

Show original message
  • 8 messages
  • April 29, 2014 20:41
April 29, 2014 20:41

I'm not going to stay in my chair anyway ...

I'm just asking advice about grants here and yes I admit they are stupid questions like I said but if I don't know the answer I have to ask ;-)

Show original message
Ted
VIP
  • 1,139 messages
  • April 29, 2014 21:15
added
prices
info pages
reviews

Stupid questions don't exist, stupid answers do. A well-known saying.

Asking questions and getting (correct) answers can only make you wiser.

Take a look at our fairagenda or on the internet to see if there is a collector's fair near you and take a look at how it works. goes to that. You can have a chat with other collectors and exhibitors there. They will be happy to help you.

A good tip if you go to a fair. Bring enough money with you (because you never know if you will run into something that you really want to have) but agree with yourself how much you want to spend.

Show original message
  • 8 messages
  • April 29, 2014 22:51
April 29, 2014 22:51

Thank you Ted!

Just checked out and a bit further behind the google machine.

However, I currently only find fairs in the Netherlands. , tomorrow I will see if there is one close to the border ...

But otherwise really no one who knows anything in Belgium?

Show original message
  • 6 messages
  • May 11, 2014 15:14
added
prices
reviews
May 11, 2014 15:14

On September 27 and 28, 2014 there will be a large Papermoney Fair in Valkenburg.

This always takes place in April (see the website of Catawiki / fairs) and in September.

Hope this helps you.

Show original message
  • 8 messages
  • May 11, 2014 15:39
May 11, 2014 15:39

grateful for every tip ;-)

Show original message
  • 1,193 messages
  • May 11, 2014 15:54
added
prices

in emmen during the butterfly days there is always someone with notes

Show original message
  • 10 messages
  • May 19, 2014 11:45
prices
reviews
May 19, 2014 11:45

Hi Kris,

The only stupid question is one you have but don't ask!

There is an association in the Netherlands that focuses 100% on collecting paper money. IBNS Netherlands. They also have a website. www.ibns.nl

It is a so-called "chapter" of the international organization www.theibns.org.

There was also a chapter in Belgium, but unfortunately due to insufficient interest to take a seat on the board, it is defunct.

On the website of IBNS Nederland you can also see that they organize a fair twice (or more) a year, 100% focused on collecting paper money.

---

In a comment above I saw "bring enough money, just in case you run into something".

My advice is: bring enough money for the entrance and a cup of coffee and a sandwich the first time, nothing more.
First find out what you like and want to collect. Do your research before spending your money. Everyone has their own budget, high or low, but we can all only spend our euro once.

Do you prefer unfolded banknotes, or banknotes with historical value? Banknotes that are green or bear the portrait of Elisabeth II. Based on theme, country or any criteria, it's up to you. The sooner you know exactly what you want, the more targeted you can search for new additions.

---

I myself collect all knowledge and paper money from Dutch soil, including the colonies, "as beautiful as possible", at an interesting price. For me, this also includes all money made under special conditions, such as replacements, fill-in series, designs, rejected banknotes, uncut banknotes, proofs, specimens, etc. etc. etc.

If you have any questions for me, you can always send me a personal message, because I believe that every question deserves an answer, and I can often learn from what others want to know!!

Regards, Patrick Plomp

Show original message
  • Catalogue administrator
  • 215 messages
  • August 16, 2017 21:14
added
prices
reviews

@ ceo8

You can read the local newspaper and if there is ONE fair or exchange day or something, it is usually already in the local news and then you look around there often on other fairs, for example stamps, there are often people with coins and banknotes.

Get well soon

Leendert

Show original message
10of 10